Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design OpAmp with low supply voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhnha

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design an OpAmp with TSMC018 with a very low supply voltage (about 0.5V). Could anyone suggest some topologies?
Thank you.

Won't be simple: TSMC18 transistors have threshold voltages of around |0.4|V, the min. length devices rather |0.5|V. No headroom.

Or do you think of a special low Vth option (which needs about 6 more masks and 4 more implants)? Not cheap.

Reactions: anhnha

anhnha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, I see that there is a medium Vth nmos and pmos with threshold voltages 200mV and 250mV respectively.
If my power supply is about 0.6V then could you suggest a good topology?
I want to use it for the current reference here.

Current reference.PNG

Why would you want a switched topology? Do you already have the comparison voltages VH and VL available? And the comparator and RS-FF working at 0.6V supply?

I'd prefer a simple architecture like the Vittoz current reference: Vittoz__Voltage_and_Current_Reference.png.

From: Alice Wang, Benton Highsmith Calhoun, Anantha P. Chandrakasan, Sub-threshold Design for Ultra Low-Power Systems
© 2006 Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 233 Spring Street NY 10013
Chap. 8: Analog Circuits in Weak Inversion by Eric A. Vittoz
8.4 Exponential Characteristics
8.4.1 Voltage and Current Reference, p. 156

Reactions: anhnha

anhnha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you for the help. I will study the architecture. But do you think that it is not as good as the one I gave above?
Why would you want a switched topology?
I want to use it (ramp generator) for my boost converter.
Do you already have the comparison voltages VH and VL available?
Not yet.
And the comparator and RS-FF working at 0.6V supply?
Yes.

But do you think that it is not as good as the one I gave above?

I want to use it (ramp generator) for my boost converter.

You didn't tell before, what for you'd need it. Yes, I think your topology is quite ok for your purpose.

What frequency are you looking for? I'm designing a similar circuit at the moment. As the delay of the feedback loop is temperature dependent I suggest to go for a dual phase system to chancel out this delay. Especially when you want frequencies above 100kHz.

Edit: You only need one reference voltage within a dual phase system.

Last edited:

Hi,
My frequency is only 100kHz. You meant that you are designing OpAmp or boost converter?

I'm designing an oscillator that works with the same principle. You don't necessary need an OpAmp for this circuitry. Like erikl suggested you can use self biased mos-only circuitry to generate the reference current and the reference voltage. Therefore you can go for very low power (If needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back