Design of a lightning pulse generator (current generator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafik-foudre

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Currently I am a student in master electromagnetic compatibility, I am working on a design project of a lightning impulse generator (power generator), please can you recommend some documents on the subject?

Thank you,

Are you aware of IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test?

Are you aware of IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test?

yes i know it, my problem i want a pulse generator that delivers about 120 KA with an effective impedance of around 800 Ohm,

I'm lost :???:, do you have any ideas on that

yes I'm watching this, I want to do a design of a pulse generator (current) that delivers 120 KA with an efffective impedance about 400-800 Ohm. I'm a little lost, you have ideas or documentation on this design?
Thank you
Best regards,

The intended current and voltage levels are far beyond the range of any regular EMC test. I wonder if they have been ever realized in a high voltage laboratory. Even if so, they are surely out of reach for a compact test generator.

Hi,

doesn´t "120kA with an effective impedance of 800 Ohms" mean that you need a voltage of at least 96MV = 96,000kV = 96,000,000V?

It is in the range of a serious lightning bolt.

Klaus

is it you have an idea to increase the effective impedance but it is reassuring that the current of 100 KA or more???
IEC 61000-4-5 Testing and measurement techniques – Surge immunity test: the imepdance it's about 2 Ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.