Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design Millimeter wave oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SASSA

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, i need to design a Millimeter wave oscillator to complete my undergraduate. The operating frequency is at 13GHz. I already found the suitable transistor that is NE71383B. I need to simulate this project using ADS. Can some one guide me on how to design the circuit? Thanks.

There are many topplogies for those frequencies like DRO,YIG, Ceramic Resonator Oscillator, etc.
What kind of topology you intend to use ? What purpose will work for ???
Forget about Colpitts,Hartley,Clapp oscillators and lumped L-C components they are not suitable for those frequencies.You should consider either Distributed type Oscillator with Microstrip/Strip Line elements or MMIC ( Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits )...
Have ever you read Grebennikov's " Rf and Microwave Transistor Oscillator Design " ( WILEY 2007) or Ulrich Rohde's book ??

Reactions: SASSA

SASSA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi thanks. Yes I need to design a distributed type oscillator with Microstrip layout. Any examples of topologies for that type of oscillator?

You can start from this point.There are others to be inspired but Monoltihic solutions are much better for that operating of frequency.Or You can consider a Push-Push oscillator in order to use second harmonic as main carrier.As I said before, there are many topologies to be considered.You have to research a bit..
T. Ohira, T. Hiraoka and H. Kato,‘MMIC14-GHzVCOand Miller FrequencyDivider for Low-Noise
Local Oscillators’, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., MTT-35, 657–661 (1987)

14GHz_VCO.png

SASSA

since this would be for credit, you should realize that 13 GHz is NOT "millimeter wave"

SASSA

Hye, thanks for the circuit, really help me a lot !!..BTW, those lambda/4 is represent for what? thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

tq biff44..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back