Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design medium power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferdy88

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I just made a amplifier a 2.14 GHz using the transistor ATF-50189 of the Avago. I biased the device as shown in the datasheet (Vds = 4.5 V, VGS = 0.53 V) and made all the networks stabilization to to avoid oscillations obtaining
factor stability K > 1 and |det(S)| < 1 for all the frequency reaching
GAV = 14.5 dB.
The problem was when then made the transient simulation in ADS. The output signal presented a little oscillations 8O. I don' t understand where is the problem.
Someone can help me.....

1) What is the corresponding frequency sweep for K factor analysis ?

2) A power amplifier is stable in a small-signal sense can be unstable under large signals, that's why people do large signal stability analysis by looking (for example) at the poles and zeros of the transfert function of the circuit, this is more difficult than obtaining K factor...
Try to make it stable (with transient simulation) by introducing losses in the input matching network.

Your s-parameters look strange.There are some discontinuties somewhere.
K-Factor is not sufficient standalone to check the stability.

Last edited:

The amplifier is oscillating around 1.2GHz, at the beginning you should recuce gain for this frequency to improve stability.

1st stage, gain=10dB, and make NF as low as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back