Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design LNA in ADS and cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

tungchang

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,I try to design Ka band LNA in ADS and using cadence to drew layout. Have you have any idea about connecting these two software?

Only RFDE can connect these software. In fact RFDE ( Radio Frequency Design Environment ) is a UNIX version of ADS. By writing some scripts , you can use ADS through Cadence.

When you open Cadence you can also open and transform the netlist into Cadence. It's litlle bit complicated but I use it daily.

You can simulate and use some all features of ADS through Cadence. Especially "analog extracted view" netlist is very very important for RFIC design which covers all parasitic components from layout view.

Reactions: lamda

lamda

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi
Please "BigBoss" can you give us more detailes RFED?about the ver. you used to do this and how ? :?:

Thanks....

sorry... but the link doesn't work with me :?:,It gives error "HTTP 404" and the main page doesn't exist ?

learned more.Thanks

i am now designing a Ka band LNA, but i simulate in ADS and then chang the enviroment to cadence directly, only make DRC rule by hand, not aotu.

BigBoss said:
When you open Cadence you can also open and transform the netlist into Cadence. It's litlle bit complicated but I use it daily.

Hi GigBoss
I don't understand

I've a design-kit for ads, can I make simulation in cadence without a pdk for cadence?

Can I extract the schematic starting from the ads layout in cadence?

wasm said:
BigBoss said:

Hi GigBoss
I don't understand

I've a design-kit for @DS, can I make simulation in cadence without a pdk for cadence?

Can I extract the schematic starting from the @DS layout in cadence?

No, it doesn't mean that..

If you have pdk for Cadence, you can use ADS utilities through Cadence for instance you do some simulations by aid of HB of ADS. So, ADS accepts the netlisting procedure of Cadence...
That I have meant..

Hello wasm & Bigboss,

You need to have seperate PDK's for Cadence & ADS to do simulation in ADS & Layout or extraction in Cadence...

Q: I've a design-kit for @DS, can I make simulation in cadence without a pdk for cadence?

ANS: No

Find attached a very nice & also complicated flow of RFDE specific w.r.t Jazz semi.

---manju---

Design LNA in @DS and cadence

Thanks

so, if I want to extract the schematic of a chip designed on a foundry facility that has only ADS design-kit I can't do that!!!

That's a problem!!! :-( :-( :-(

Added after 4 hours 10 minutes:

I've also a sub-question

The extracted equivalent circuit is in the form of parasitic resistance and capacitance or also include inductance?

I'm sorry if the question is quite stupid but I'm a microwave designer so I worked only with ADS like software till now

Thanks
wasm

Re: Design LNA in @DS and cadence

wasm said:
Thanks

so, if I want to extract the schematic of a chip designed on a foundry facility that has only @DS design-kit I can't do that!!!

That's a problem!!! :-( :-( :-(

Added after 4 hours 10 minutes:

I've also a sub-question

The extracted equivalent circuit is in the form of parasitic resistance and capacitance or also include inductance?

I'm sorry if the question is quite stupid but I'm a microwave designer so I worked only with @DS like software till now

Thanks

wasm

It depends..

If you use Diva extraction you'll only parasitic capacitances of the layout but if you have a license of Assura RCX, you may obtain parasitic resistances, capacitances as well as inductances and mutual inductances. But in every case, technolgy file should you permit to do extraction that is very difficult.

For instance for my company has RCX licnese but we can not extract inductances and mutual inductances due to technological restrictions. But in near future we're gonna do..

Re: Design LNA in @DS and cadence

BigBoss said:
But in every case, technolgy file should you permit to do extraction that is very difficult.

You mean that foundry does not provide a "full features" technology file? Or that RX Assura full license is quite expensive?

Another (probably stupid) question: In my rdfe installation the ads standard library is directly accesible from Cadence schematic, for which reason this is not true for ads design-kit? Are you sure that there are non ways to do that? (I'm talking about circuital simulation not LVS)

Do you know if Cadence do "special offer/license" for University?

Thanks in advance

wasm

yes
If you have pdk for Cadence, you can use ADS utilities through Cadence for instance you do some simulations by aid of HB of ADS. So, ADS accepts the netlisting procedure of Cadence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back