Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] design inductors with ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bou

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I m lookinf for examples of the design of inductors with ADS,

Thank you very much for your help

It depends on your technology and frequency. Should it be on a pcb or on chip?

It depends on your technology and frequency. Should it be on a pcb or on chip?

I want to design an inductor On a Pcb (printed inductor)

ok, and frequency range?

ok, and frequency range?

Let's say 125 Khz like the one used foe receivers in wireless power transfer
**broken link removed**

forget about printed inductors at this frequency because you need a lot of area. what is the purpose of the inductor? some power transfer or filtering?

forget about printed inductors at this frequency because you need a lot of area. what is the purpose of the inductor? some power transfer or filtering?

Some power transfer

it's much easier to buy a coil instead of designing one, especially at such low frequency. If you really want a printed ind. you're faced with different problems, e.g. between traces you have to use a minimum spacing or the thin trace thickness. IMHO, it's not a good idea.

it's much easier to buy a coil instead of designing one, especially at such low frequency. If you really want a printed ind. you're faced with different problems, e.g. between traces you have to use a minimum spacing or the thin trace thickness. IMHO, it's not a good idea.

For Coil that I found in internet , they have a mean dimension 3cm x 4 cm for my application I need a coil with a max dimension of 4 cm x 2 cm
Maybe you know some references of smaller coils?

Maybe this one: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1782026.pdf . it's around 3x3, but a printed ind would be for sure larger with same inductance value.

the inductance value can be changed , the design chracteristics are : Sans titre.png

Nevertheless, take a commercial one, because you can't choose your inductance too small for an adequate power transfer. OR make your own one from copper wires, also possible.

Inductor mechanical dimensions are theoretically ( and surely up to moderate RF frequencies ) almost independent from the frequency.
For instance 1uH@100kHz has always same dimension @1MHz
or 1nH@100MHz has dimensions as same as @1GHz..
For an information only...

Inductor mechanical dimensions are theoretically ( and surely up to moderate RF frequencies ) almost independent from the frequency.
For instance 1uH@100kHz has always same dimension @1MHz
or 1nH@100MHz has dimensions as same as @1GHz..
For an information only...

Agree, but comparing his idea of a pcb inductance with a commercial one, the pcb ind. will be larger for the same value.

10x for your answers ; I think that I'll test the both: commercial coil and the same time I want to learn how to simulate coils with ADS for future applications
so, I tried to simulate a commercial coil with ADS after simulation , we can insert a template that calculate directely L, R and Q:
with my design I get the same value of L =1.18 uH but not for the resistance that is very low which give a very high Q

please have you any idea? any explinations? why I don't get the right value of R?

https://www.abracon.com/NFC-antenna/ANFCA-2515-A02.pdf

Capture.PNG

How you simulated your design? Maybe you can also post your pcb stackup for em-simulation.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Is your cond material PEC?

Reactions: Bou

Bou

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Mhmm, can you upload your simulation, that I can check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back