Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Dell All IN One Computer Display won't come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmas111

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a DELL ALL IN ONE computer (Model 2035) for a friend. The display was dead.

After opening it up I found a SMD resistor laying inside. It had broken off the Converter Board.

At first I figured it was a lousy soldering job and it just broke loose. I soldered it back on and the display came on. Well that was a easy fix I thought then a minute later it shut down again.

As it turns out the SMD resistor ( I'm pretty sure it's a resistor) had gotten so hot it melted the solder joints and fell back off! I've never seen this before.

Anyway, wondering if you guys might have any suggestions what might be causing the problem.

Attached is a picture of the board with the SMD Resistor that fell of circled in red.

I know this is a pretty vague question and haven't given a lot of information but do you think it could be something on the board causing the problem or something else altogether.

I can get the replacement board for $7.00 and give it a shot but don't want to waste my time if something else is more than likely the problem.

All I can see on the resistor is the numbers 100 and 1116. Is 100 the resistance value and 1116 a manufacturing date.

Thanks guys,
John

Attachments

• converter.JPG
    converter.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 115

I think I screwed up!

I just noticed the component marking on the pcb. "PL1" so I'm guessing it's a inductor not a resistor.

On the first pic I attached the red circle went over the marking.

Attached another pic that's shows the "PL1"

Still not sure what the markings mean though ..... anyone have a guess?

Thanks and sorry for giving bad info in my first post!

John

Attachments

• dell1.JPG
    dell1.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 95

Thats an inductor all right.

My guess would be that the IC that it feeds is shorted causing excess current being drawn through it hence it heating up so much.

Look further than the inductor at the IC - is that getting hot too? If so what is causing that? check its pins for shorts, its peripheral components and if needs be replace the IC.

PL1 generally suggests a plug, clearly this is not a plug though :)

First though try the pcb plugged into its source but not with the load plugged into it - it things are not getting hot then its the load that is faulty.

Thanks Mattylad,

I tried it without the load and it didn't warm up at all.

The load cable goes to the Motherboard so I'm guessing that's the problem.

I have the new convert board on order so I'll give it a shot when it arrives. For $7.00 it's worth a try.

If that don't solve the problem there's no way a new motherboard is going to ordered.....

Thanks again I appreciate the help.

John

I received the new converter board the other day....bingo! The display is back and no heating issue with the converter board.

Best $7.00 I've spent in a while.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back