Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dell Adaptor Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AvnishGupta

Hi All,
I am very much new to this forum and I have no idea about electronics but a very question in my mind from the last few days want to share with you people and request you please reply,
I have a laptop Dell inspiron 15R 3520 and adopter which I got with it, into adaptor label Input voltage is mention as 100 - 240V and output voltage mention as 19.5V, So I understand, minimum requirement of input voltage is 100 v and maximum requirement of input voltage is 240 v, so if the voltage vary between 100 -240V it provide the sustain output which is 19.5 v, am I Correct, please specify?,
And my second question is what if voltage input is 1-99 v, what will be the effect on my laptop and adaptor?
And third question is if voltage input is 241 and above, what will be the affect on my laptop and adaptor?

if the voltage vary between 100 -240V it provide the sustain output which is 19.5 v, am I Correct, please specify?

Yes, you are correct. The adapter will supply a constant voltage of 19.5V, no matter input voltage varies from 100V to 240V.

And my second question is what if voltage input is 1-99 v, what will be the effect on my laptop and adaptor?

Your adapter will automatically shutdown if it gets below 100V. It has an IC which monitors the input voltage.

And third question is if voltage input is 241 and above, what will be the affect on my laptop and adaptor?

Same as above. One example of these IC is NCP 1203. Your adapter is made of SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) technology. In this, a constant voltage is maintained by Pulse Width Modulation Technique.

Hope this helps....

Reactions: AvnishGupta

A

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much for such a deep explanation , i never except such a wonderful explanation ,thanks again,

but i am just little bit confused about the 3rd answer ,just shareing with you what i uderstand,If voltage is above 240V then adapter will automatically shutdown ,Correct? if yes then is there any specified range of voltages to get adaptor shutdown ?
For example
1)1 - 99v then adaptor shutdown
2)100 - 240 v adtor will work normally
3)241 to till what extent of voltage to get adaptor shutdown and what if voltage is beyond that extent.

And all this applicable for my dell model or all the adaptor,Please specify?

Is there any device which provide me a constant output voltage (must be Confrigurable) and in which i can set the min input voltage (must be Confrigurable) and max input voltage (must be Confrigurable), if voltage cross that speified range then device must cut-off the power ?

Please anwer.
Thanks again

I dont think you will see something atractive spectacular for 1V difference, but on longer time period, maybe some problems will show up because you run adapter on higher range of voltage, and he have more power to dissipate.

Under higher voltage ratings, instead of awaiting shutdown procedure, I will say that you should await smoke or adapter dying with some strange smell.

Dont expect too much from newer PC equipment, manufacturers looks to make newer models on a cheaper way, and you should accept and keep in mind manufacturer recommendetions for equipment usage. Today brand name does not mean much, more means higher production quality control and production process monitoring and auditing with permanent testing if possible each product.

Lets say you should avoid to run this adapter on unstable power supply aggregate or bad maded power inverter from home garage, or any other power source maded in fashion "I made this only from parts what I found at home".

:wink:

Would you please suggest a device which protect my adaptor and laptop from power fluctuation,Surges,spikes,low voltage and High voltage?

Would you please suggest a device which protect my adaptor and laptop from power fluctuation,Surges,spikes,low voltage and High voltage?

Of course my friend you have two choices :

1. To use as much as possible stable mains power source 215-220-230V.

2. To get and use good UPS device with tolerance of small voltage variation. You can buy this like power extension cord with many sockets, over voltage protection (varistor) and power switch. Change standard power plug on end of cable with UPS adequate male power plug. After that you can also use others adapters and smaller devices according to UPS power and capability.

Additional to UPS usage:
Protection of laptop is maded with battery, if you want some kind of protection best is to use battery, with adapter turned on or without it. Better always run notebook/laptop on battery in standby inside device. I know that manufacturers suggest to run device without battery but this is just to save battery life and manufacturers pockets from avoiding replacing dead batteries in still valid battery warranty period, and from Li-Ion dangerous nature in hot environment.

One advice, dont expect that you will use that notebook/laptop many many years. That device is portable consumables for usage in several years, something will die inside, or device will become obsolete with capabilities, after that you will search new. The same situation is with others device such as desktop PC, TV CRT to LCD/LED,....

:wink:

It is not in my hand to stable main power this is the only reason i am asking for device. i have face so many issues in my computer just because of power issue now i dont want yo face same issues again in my newly purchased laptop also.

if you suggesting me a good UPS then plese specify the name of the UPS with specification, i dont think UPS will take care of power surges and spikes and also not sure about the high and low voltage stabilization is done trough UPS or not.

:cool:

UPS do many things among others voltage stabilizations, power surges,... of course there is many products in markets bad, good, cheap, expensive,... you can search shops over Internet or your local shops, and compare specifications.

UPS from APC provides surge protection. With my experience I can say APC products are really good.
I have two PC's,both run with different UPS. The one runs with APC didn't gave a single hardware issue in the past 7 yrs, but for the other PC, I had to change 2 UPS (both of different companies) and 3 SMPS in just 4 yrs, all due to power fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back