Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Define the number of instances as a parameter in Cadence Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

huynguyenle

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I'm creating a schematic to simulate and measure Fanout-Of-h delay using Cadence Virtuoso.

What I want to do is to define the number of instances of a particular inverter as a parameter (hence I can use parametric analysis to evaluate the change of delay with respect to the change of fanout).

As far as I know, there are two ways to change the number of instances of a component in Cadence schematic:
+ Using the m-factor
+ Using the I1<0:3> to instantiate 4 similar I1 components.

However, in both ways I tried but failed to set a parameter for the number of instances.
For example, when I defined I1<0:h> then Schematic told me that an error occurred in my circuit.

If someone had a same problem and knew how to fix it, I would be very thankful to have your instructions.

Thanks, everyone!

hi, by the way I think it's convenient to model each fanout by its input Cap. as a load for your inverter and then you could use parametric analysis for the load. (Its possible if the input capacitance be constant for all fanout. )

Thanks DP,

I will try your suggestion. However when I read the guideline, I haven't seen where it creates the parameter for instantiating the parameterized cell. If I missed that point somewhere please let me now. Will check it in details tmr. Thanks, DP.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, AA.

This is still a way I think. I'm wondering if it can yield a wrong result since doing this way means we might omit the resistance of the load which in turn changes the real propagation delay.

Hi

When puting a parameter for the m-factor in cadence virtuoso, this parameter is passed to the ADE window (Analog Artist).

To retrieve it, go to the ADE window, Variables Tab, Copy From Cellview

I had found that the instance "m" param does not deal with
variables appropriately (parsing as integer rather than
processing a string input, down to the int(num()) or whatever).
Similarly netlisters don't know how to deal with variable
topology, only variable geometry. I think this is the PDK
developer's call, if they don't expect fingering to be a
front end design variable then they don't build the right
scheme into the symbol properties / callbacks and the
netlisting.

Your workaround is to assign roughly-right m and/or I((x:0>)
and vary w for purposes of optimization, re-target m, repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back