Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoupling a baseband VDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

analog_chip

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have designed a receiver with 2.4GHz LO, 2.42GHz RF and 20MHz baseband. The baseband has a seperate VDD and I want to decouple the 20MHZ in VDD. What kind of capacitors shall I use to decouple 20MHz ? Shall I use electrolytic cap with srf=20MHz? Can anyone suggest a good decoupling strategy?

- - - Updated - - -

The baseband has both 20MHz and 2.4GHz component. I can use 20nF for 20MHz and 20F for 2.4 GHz but since they are widely spaced I am concerned about antiresonance issues.

Decoupling 20Mhz is easier option. Select capacitor with 20Mhz Resonant frequency. Decoupling 2.4Ghz is difficult.....2.4Ghz decoupling requires capacitance in pF range may be 2-10pf range. check with RF capacitor manufacturers. decoupling 2.4Ghz requires very good layout..so, that mounting inductance is very low.....Try to simulate the system.....

Hi malli_1729,

What about the anti-resonance peak created between 20MHz and 2.4GHz? How to deal with it?

have you measured this peak....These 2 frequencies are well separated.......first select the corresponding capacitors for both frequencies....then approximate inductance's(mounting+actual) of both capacitors.....finding out resonant frequencies of CAP20Mhz and INDofCAP2.4Ghz and CAP2.4Ghz and INDofCAP20Mhz....I am not sure about the recommended techniques.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back