Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoder with 32 bus width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Eric

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys, I'm new in encoder and I'm not really understand the question below. Could someone please help me? Thanks!

Consider a memory bank consisting 32,768 bytes of registers. The bus width in use with the older generation computer was 32. How would you design a decoder such that all 32,768 bytes can be addressed separately?

My idea is that I merely need 15 bus address to cover the 32,768 data.
2^15 = 32,768. Is my idea correct?

That's right for byte addressable memory (32kx8). If the memory organisation is 8kx32, you need 13 address lines and possibly 4 byte write enable lines.

Not quite sure of the intent here, but I THINK the question is a little more complex. Since the "older" computer bus was 32 bits (I'm assuming that means the data bus), that means that 4 bytes at a time were accessed (4x8=32). Thus, you'll need 13 bits to access each 32-bit word, and then you'll need 2 bits to access 1-of-4 bytes of each word. That's still 15 bits, but the arrangement is a little different.

To support byte, word and doubleword writes, a 32-bit data bus has usually byte enable lines instead of a 1-of-4 selection. Reads are performed 32-bit wide.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that I still not get the ideal on how to design the decoder. Could you explain more detail? I'm sorry for any inconvenient.

To design a decoder, you need to know which control signals are used by the "memory bank" and the 32-bit bus. If it's not specified in the homework problem, you need to assume something from the lecture stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.