Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debugging using scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

kars_jk

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am new to Embedded and currently writing a driver for an embedded processor. I would like to know how to use Oscilloscope to debug the target board. I was first asked to check the clock signal, chip-select signal using a scope. Since I am a software engineer, dont know how to use scope.

Can any one help me? Probably links, resources and tips debugging with scope.

Thanks,
Kars

to tell something on how to use a scope, u atleast need to tell, which scope you are going to use...
any idea??
i mean which make and serial number? b'coz the controls are differnet for differnt kind of scopes.

Many ways to debug a firmware depending the specific project you are dealing with. I am a electronic engineer before a programmer, and rarely use oscilloscope for that purpose.

However you are talking about scope, so before talking about how to use the scope, first let's talk about which kind of it you have, or any idea about choosing a right scope for you?

In my opinion, the most suitable affordable scope for this purpose is the 2-channel analog one. If you can buy the better, think of the 2- to 4-channel digital scope with memory and PC communication capability, it is really helpful tool.

How do you think? And we will continue discussing later.

nguyennam

Hi,
Thnaks to all for suggestions.
I have Digital Storage Oscilloscope : Tektronix TDS2024.

Now I learned that I will have to look at the schematics to find out where the pin is located on the board.

Kars

Status
Not open for further replies.