Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debug with dspic33ep

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo2020

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have used different PIC16F and 18F and always for debugging I have used proteus or loading the program with the PICkit to the PIC (encapsulated PDIP).
Now I want to use a dsPIC33EP.
But what if the dsPIC does not exist in the proteus libraries and this dsPIC does not exist with the PDIP encapsulation. In these cases, what can be done to debug the code?

The convenience of using Proteus was so great in some of my projects that thenceforth I selected only any microcontroller that had simulation support available in this tool; at the end there were no change on the code simulated and released on real target. I recommend you to consider the same.

Last edited:

geo2020

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
My opinion is that simulators add another layer of (potential) bugs - I always recommend using a real MCU.
How you do that depends on many external factors but I have found that an Explorer 16 board with its array of PIMs is a very good way to start many projects. If the exact MCU you want to use is not available as a PIM then you might be able to start with another in the same family until you can put together a prototype board - you will almost certainly need one anyway to make sure that the timing with an external hardware is correct. Many of the internal modules in the dsPIC33EP series of devices is the same across the family.
Susan

geo2020

Hi,

I'm wirh Susan. I never did a microcontroller proteus simulation...and until now I never thought I need it.
I'm using simulation rather seldom.

Reading datasheets and good planing of hardware and software is what I rely on.

And a simulation can only be as good as the inputs. Many designs require a good PCB layout and component placement. Then a simple simulation can not show such problems. Many simulators don't care about clock (frequency, accuracy, stability, levels), don'care about power supply and don't care about the drawn currents. With some simulatiin software it's possible to drive optocoupler LEDs on mains voltage without current limiting resistors while the simulated output shows valid signals. In reality those kiloAmpers will cause a serious explosion.

Klaus

geo2020

Status
Not open for further replies.