Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] DCD/DC step-up (boost) converter with high output current

Status
Not open for further replies.

howlad

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,

I am currently trying to design a step-up converter for an autonomious fuel cell system. It has to suffice the following demands:

Vin, min = 4 V
Vin, max = 8 V

Vout = 12 V
Iout = min 2 A

Since a fuel cell has its peak current at lowest voltage, the converter has to be able to deliver 12 V / 2 A at 4 V input voltage (and approx. 8 A). The fuel cell stack is rated at 50 W but it's very old, the realistic maximum power is about 30 -35 W. The output power (and thus the output current) should be as high as possible. Assuming an efficiency of about 80%, the output current should be around 2 amps...
I've already designed a working converter as a first step (using the Maxim MAX 1771 -> ) but that one has a maximum ouput current of 0.5 A.

Does anyone know a converter I could use?

Many thanks in advance,
Steve

LT3579 is little close to your requirements- 5V in, 12V 1.7A out. I can only guess that if you could provide full 8V as Vin, the output current could go to near 2 A. See if you can go with it....

Thanks for your answer (and sorry for my late reply).
I figured the TI LM3488 will work best for me (with external switch)

Cheers,
Steffen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back