Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to DC buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

satiz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi There,

I would like to understand why DC to DC converter inductor has offset or (IMIN in the image) ?

Here is the Image I got from online reference. Can any one pls help me to understand this

1653696198829.png

Attachments

• 1653696138750.png
    1653696138750.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 102

Attached is a simulation of it in the free download LTspice simulator...
This is the best way to see the operation.

As an exercise, make it go into DCM if you want......or write back here and i will help you.

The inductor in a buck, is just like a high frequency dropper, and helps drop the input voltage without wasting too much power

Attachments

• Buck 12v to 5v 1amp.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 108

Operating in CCM allows an inductor with lesser saturation rating.

Notice if you reduce frequency, then you have the Ampere waveform traveling a large range between crest and trough. That is, between zero and a high peak (DCM).

However by switching at higher frequency, the AC waveform traverses a smaller distance. It develops greater DC component (Imin in your diagram)(CCM). Nevertheless there's a benefit because peak current is reduced in the inductor. Its saturation rating need not be as great as for a slower switching frequency.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.