Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Damage RF input on spectrum analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutrino

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
During a measurement on a PCB with high and low voltage, an unexpected and unpredictable failure,
connected the mains voltage (220Vac) in RF input on my spectrum analyzer N932OB AG**ENT. I suppose the damage is (obviously) really serious. I am waiting next week to contact a service. I am very worry. Can someone tell me how the damage is serious? The instrument does not turn on. HELP!

Best regards

The instrument does not turn on. HELP!

Best regards

Yep, that is always a bad sign!

Check the fuse...maybe you just popped it with high ac leakage currents.

You need to come up with a system, in the future, that isolates the spectrum analyzer (both the connector center conductor AND the outer conductor) from the large voltage. Since the AC voltage is very low frequency, a differential highpass filter would be a bare minimum. Then a microwave attenuator, followed by a diode limiter would be nice.

It happens to the best of us. I blew out the front end of a spectrum analyzer once measuring the output of a high power comb generator. The comb tooth I was looking at was only +5 dBm. The problem was there were around 80 more comb teeth not shown on the screen of similar power that were all adding up! A costly repair!

Not turning on - hopefully a blown fuse, BUT probably blown the input attenuator or worse the input mixer as well.
Can be a very costly repair from my experience repairing similar equipment in the past.

There are big chances the RF input survives (because the AC mains power loop close through the ground), but definitely the internal switching power supply of N932OB dies.

Thanks to all. You give me hope of not having to throw it all away.

I don't understand the reason why the line voltage (220Vac) of my tested PCB passes from RF INPUT connector to internal switching power supply (and RF input survive) ...

Thanks to all. I connect the instrument main supply to AC main network. After one hour I turned on the instrument. It seems to work properly. After calibration, all
work fine. I am very happy!

I think at the time of the fault, the instrument is going into protection. A colleague remembered that when we bought the instrument, at the first power on, the instrument lit after one our.

Regards.

Indeed, the microwave gods have smiled upon you today. As an offering to them, at the least I suggest installing one of these in between your 220V circuit and the spectrum analyzer:

DC Blocks - RF, Cables, Video Cables, RF Parts, Connectors

In your case, the inner/outer block. Ask them how many volts it is good for, you might need 2 in series!

Indeed, the microwave gods have smiled upon you today. As an offering to them, at the least I suggest installing one of these in between your 220V circuit and the spectrum analyzer:

DC Blocks - RF, Cables, Video Cables, RF Parts, Connectors

In your case, the inner/outer block. Ask them how many volts it is good for, you might need 2 in series!

Thank you!! I was very lucky and I will treasure what happened. I'll buy two DC block (working voltage 200V each) connected in series to the RF spectrum analyzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back