Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cypress SPI Interrupt Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiGHTS

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am new to this forum. I hope I am posting this question in the right place.

I am developing on the Cypress CY7C63823. I am working exclusively in the Assembly language. I am using the Cypress PSOC Designer 5.1 IDE and compiler. I am developing a simple SPI 3-wire system that communicates between two identical cypress microcontrollers. One is configured to master and the other is configured to slave.

The problem I am having is with the slave. Normally the master firmware is constantly requesting data from the slave. The slave does in fact respond as expected, but apparently this is causing the slave's main loop to stop looping, yet my SPI handler still responds to interrupts. This leads me to think that there is a problem with the way I am dealing with the interrupt in the first place -- a stack issue of some sort.

The interrupt starts at the boot.asm like this:
Code:
org  10h          ; SPI RX Full Interrupt Vector
ljmp SPI_Handler
reti

This handler causes the main loop to stop working:
Code:
SPI_Handler:

M8C_DisableGInt
   push X
   push A

.SPI_Handler_Loader_Wait:

TST  REG[INT_CLR0],INT_MSK0_SPI_RX ; Address transfer complete?
      JZ   .SPI_Handler_Loader_Wait

; Code goes here, but even without code the problem occurs

pop A
   pop X
   M8C_EnableGInt

reti

Meanwhile, this is what my main code looks like:
Code:
AREA text(ROM,REL,CON)
_main:
   ; Enable SPI
   lcall SPIM_1_EnableInt

; Configure SPI: Clear Swap
   AND  REG[SPICR], ~(SPIM_1_SWAP)  

; Configure SPI: Set slave mode
   and  REG[SPICR], %11101111
   OR   REG[SPICR], %00100000

; Enable Interrupts
   M8C_EnableGInt

Main_Loop:

; As soon as the first interrupt is fired, this loop is no longer in service

jmp Main_Loop

Interestingly enough, removing the 2 line's of SPI_Handler code occuring at ".SPI_Handler_Loader_Wait:" fixes the problem, but without this code there is no way to tell if the SPI data has completed receiving the entire byte from the master.

I have looked in PDF's and google for "best practice" in this situation. I can't find any information anywhere on how to handle this. Any help is appreciated! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.