Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

custom layout vs physical design

Status
Not open for further replies.

aijaz mahmood

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone tell me difference between custom layout training and physical design training and which is better???

Custom layout is the process of designing layout of electronic circuit manually with the help of layout editor. This mainly done for standard cell library design, Analog circuit design, IP design. In physical design, we do netlist to GDSII implementation. For more details check below links. In my opinion, it is easy to job as physical design engineer compared to layout engineer.

**broken link removed**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit_layout
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_design_(electronics)

Reactions: Arnab1233

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think physical design training is related to place and route design using EDA tools such as Encounter or ICCompiler. Custom layout training is related to layout design probably for analog design.

Which one is better? You should choose which one you like to work with for many years. I dont know from employment perspective which one is better.

Thanks.

As name suggests Custom layout (CL) is drawing a layout for customized designs say ADC/memories.. Physical design(PD) is process of implementation of RTL to GDS2. layouts are input to PD. With CL, you will be specialized in drawing layout, will get more exposure to layout rules, foundry DRM, challenge lies in reducing area of design at base level. In analogy, PD is process of constructing a house (will all given materials like windows, doors, bricks) and CL is the process of design of only blocks (like bricks, doors, windows).
It is of individual interest to choose between CL or PD. Personally I like PD as each time you face different challenge when going for different SoC. whereas CL is very laborious work. Hope this gives some idea to you.

thanks

I'd say start with CL and then move to PD. CL gives you lot of info about transistor level working of the chip and gets you familiar with all the necessary stuff, but as some one mentioned above, it can become monotonous some times.

But which is more demanding in vlsi industry??

which has more technical aspects pd or cl??

Both has its own challenges! In terms of Technical aspects, CL needs specific knowledge related to layout/schematic say for ex: designing PLL/ADC where as PD needs knowledge on how to integrate it at system level. In analogy you assume CL is developing windows/walls/small rooms and PD is use these walls/small rooms to build a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back