Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CT ratio setting on energy meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Current Transfomer (CT) ratio setting on energy meter

I am using a smart energy meter which allows me to set the CT ratio among other parameters. I am using 50/5 ratio AC CT's. For the meter to do the kwh calculation correctly, I believe I have to set primary CT ratio to 50 and secondary CT ratio to 5. Now, if I have two rounds of the same 120 volt wire passing through the same CT, then I would set secondary ratio to 100. My question is, will this be equivalent to have just one round of wire through the CT and the primary ratio set to 50 , i.e the kwh calculated by the meter will still be right and I would'nt have to do any manipulations on the values obtained from the meter.

Meter data sheet:**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Now, if I have two rounds of the same 120 volt wire passing through the same CT, then I would set secondary ratio to 100.
No, you get range of 25 A with two primary turns.

The explanation is in the name: Ratio.

Ratio of primary turns vs secondary turns. Since CTs are usually a single primary turn, a 50:5 =10 current ratio means that the secondary must be 10 turns to maintain the same ratio. or 10:1, in the number of turns.

If now you put two turns in the primary while keeping the same 10 secondary turns, your new ratio will be 10:2 = 5; half of what you used to have.

The transformation ratio will change accordingly, such that to obtain 5 amps secondary, your primary can only be 25 amps.

Basic transformer equations. Remember the current transformation ratio is the reciprocal of the turns ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.