Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CT or Shunt for Electricity Meters ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends,

for single phase KWH meter, i can use both CT and Shunt, which is more accurate ?!

and do you know what exactly 5(100)A mean ?!
i saw it means max 100A, but what does that 5A mean then when it supports up to 100A ?!!

Thanks & Best Regards :)

Hi,

I'd say a shunt is more accurate. But with it's low signal voltage you need to take care with amplifying the signal.
A wrong designed amplifier or a bad layout could easily make the overall performance worse than the CT.

5 (100)... For sure you could find reliable information in the internet.
I guess the 5A is for continous RMS current, the 100 is the peak current. But i'm not sure..

Klaus

100(5)A means 100A primary (input/measured) current and 5A (full scale) output current.

If you only need to measure AC currents (and you need galvanic isolation, too) a CT it's a better option, as it only requires a single external burden resistor (and maybe a simple rectifying/filtering circuit) to feed the output signal to your measuring circuit.

Hi,

(and maybe a simple rectifying/filtering circuit) to feed the output signal to your measuring circuit.
Rectifying and filtering .. I don't think it is possible for a kWh meter, because you need phase shift information.

Klaus

Of course, I was talking about CT use in general terms. One could condition its output for specific measurements (peak, rms, average, phase shift).

Status
Not open for further replies.