Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CT Design not clean on the signal end

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelr

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am trying to build an AC current monitoring device which would allow me to sample AC incoming current using a MURATA 1:100 current transformer. When I use the scope to see the signal I can make out the waveform of the lamp I am using as load but its not clean it has alot of noise riding on it. Here is what my circuit looks like.

Regards,

Samuel

One thing you can try is placing a Faraday screen between the wire and the CT. Just pass the wire through a short length of metal tubing where it goes through the hole in the CT, and ground this metal tube.

The way its scaled, 10A will produce 45mV across your 0.45 ohm resistor, and the amplifier amplifies that to 250mV.
The voltages are all fairly low which may make it more susceptible to noise.

Another way to do it might be to make R1 10 ohms, that will give you 1v for 10 amps across R1.
Then give the amplifier a gain if 0.25 by making R3 56K and R8 14K.

You could also try placing a capacitor across R8 to roll off the high frequency gain.

Hi,

I like to use Opamps.
But an Opamp is not always the best solution.
It will introduce noise, offset, and other errors.

By changing R1 (as Tony said) you could adjust output voltage.
Then there is no need for amplification.

You could use RC filters to suppress HF noise.

What lamp are you using? Maybe the "noise" you see is the true current waveform.

Klaus

Hi,

Klaus is correct; no need to amplify the single, rather increase the burden across your CT.

Although, if you wish to use an opamp, I suggest place a small capacitor across R8 (100pF should suffice) this will attenuate HF noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.