Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CRC for SENT Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctzof

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hallo,

I want to implement a verilog code for SENT protocol CRC checksum. Is a simple CRC-4 with 1101 as polynom and 0101 as initial seed value. My input is 24- bit and the final crc value is determined by the polynom bit-count as 4 bits. I have tried many configurations but until now none works. I have found the following c-code from infineon which is used as recommendation to one of their datasheet for SENT protocol crc calculations. Can anyone help me into transform this code to verilog code.

// Fast way for any µC with low memory and compute capabilities
char Data[8] = {…}; // contains the input data (status nibble , 6 data nibble , CRC)
// required variables and LUT
char CheckSum, i;
char CrcLookup[16] = {0, 13, 7, 10, 14, 3, 9, 4, 1, 12, 6, 11, 15, 2, 8, 5};
CheckSum= 5; // initialize checksum with seed "0101"
for (i=0; i<7; i++) {
CheckSum = CheckSum ^ Data;
CheckSum = CrcLookup[CheckSum];
}
; // finally check if Data [7] is equal to CheckSum

With whatever knowledge you have, try it our yourself, write a test-bench for your module and see what happens in simulation.
If you then face problems, forum members are here! :)

Actually I found a solution yesterday by using http://outputlogic.com/?page_id=321. I had to modified the code a little bit for the initial seed of d'5 . Below is the code in verilog as a future reference. I have also implement a code based on the transformation of the c code in my first post, it works also but requires more space and clock cycles to be implemented in FPGA.

// CRC module for data[27:0] , crc[3:0]=1+x^2+x^3+x^4;
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
module crcj(
input [27:0] data_in,//The computation is performed with data including data (6 nibble) and sync (1 nibble which is alawys 0 for valid transmission) in total 7 nibble=28 bit
input crc_en,
output reg [3:0] crc_out,
input rst,
input clk);

reg [3:0] lfsr_c;

always @(*) begin
//The first values represent the seed which is 4'b0101 (5)
lfsr_c[0] = 1'b1 ^ data_in[0] ^ data_in[1] ^ data_in[3] ^ data_in[7] ^ data_in[8] ^ data_in[10] ^ data_in[14] ^ data_in[15] ^ data_in[17] ^ data_in[21] ^ data_in[22] ^ data_in[24];
lfsr_c[1] = 1'b0 ^ data_in[1] ^ data_in[2] ^ data_in[4] ^ data_in[8] ^ data_in[9] ^ data_in[11] ^ data_in[15] ^ data_in[16] ^ data_in[18] ^ data_in[22] ^ data_in[23] ^ data_in[25];
lfsr_c[2] = 1'b1 ^ data_in[0] ^ data_in[1] ^ data_in[2] ^ data_in[5] ^ data_in[7] ^ data_in[8] ^ data_in[9] ^ data_in[12] ^ data_in[14] ^ data_in[15] ^ data_in[16] ^ data_in[19] ^ data_in[21] ^ data_in[22] ^ data_in[23] ^ data_in[26];
lfsr_c[3] = 1'b0 ^ data_in[0] ^ data_in[2] ^ data_in[6] ^ data_in[7] ^ data_in[9] ^ data_in[13] ^ data_in[14] ^ data_in[16] ^ data_in[20] ^ data_in[21] ^ data_in[23] ^ data_in[27];

end // always

always @(posedge clk, posedge rst) begin
if(rst) begin
crc_out <= {4'h0};
end
else begin
crc_out <= crc_en ? lfsr_c : 4'hZ;
end
end // always
endmodule // crc

Just one point: crc_out <= crc_en ? lfsr_c : 4'hZ;

If you want to use this crc block as part of a larger design, it is not a good idea to propagate 'Z' to crc_out if crc_en is LOW. Avoid Z's in ckt design wherever possible.

Just one point: crc_out <= crc_en ? lfsr_c : 4'hZ;

If you want to use this crc block as part of a larger design, it is not a good idea to propagate 'Z' to crc_out if crc_en is LOW. Avoid Z's in ckt design wherever possible.

Yea, it was just a random choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back