Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting USB Device port into USB Host Port !!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigar 4 Electronics

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am using stellaris lm4f120 launchpad in my project.
That board has USB B Type Device port.

I want to convert that port into Host port. Is there any way to do it??
I know about the conversion circuit of USB B to USB A for connecting the devices but I've no knowledge to convert the Device port into the Host port ! :(

I want to interface pendrive/camera/other USB devices which reacts as a host.

Could you please help me with this??

Thanks for your time.

I'm afraid that's a major software change and not just a physical change. It can be done if you have control of the source but don't forget that if you want to connect to say a camera you wuill also need a compatible driver for the camera too and you won't be able to use the driver disk that came with the camera as that will be for windows or linux only.

It can be done if you have control of the source

Yes, I am able to provide the proper current and Voltage to the peripheral device but by providing it can I use that port as host port?

Actually I know that the only difference in device and host port is that the device port couldn't fed the current and so it couldn't host to any device.
but still I want to confirm.

regarding driver I've proper library to interface my camera with the board.

When I said control of the source I meant source code.
When you say you have the proper library for the board can you give more details of the board and camera as that does seem odd unless your board is a PC derivative of some kind. Are you using a PC compatible processor?

When I said control of the source I meant source code.

How we could convert a device port into the host port using source code? can you explain a little more please - I don't have experience of this.
I am aware with the difference of both by means of source (supply) - device need supply and host can provide the supply.

Are you using a PC compatible processor?

I've not heard this before. how can we say that whether the processor is PC compatible!!
but ya we can interface it with PC by proper coding and circuit but it doesn't mean that it is a PC compatible.

I agree all processors are PC compatible if you mean can you connect it to a PC, what a daft question......

I think you need to do way more online research before you even attempt to do what you are asking.
Perhaps you should look for a book on USB interfacing first.
Link to online book I found:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.filecrop.com%2FUSB-Complete-by-Jan-Axelson.html&ei=lfEpUeehEJTa0QXGqoHYCg&usg=AFQjCNFRVwCR2HzYGgdVXHT4fwJl9TLUtQ&sig2=dm3CvRNYtaRdXvW8MSDPdw&bvm=bv.42768644,d.d2k&cad=rja

Status
Not open for further replies.