Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting 230V AC to 1500V DC

newbie_hs

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to convert 230V AC to 1500V DC.
I know basic AC to DC conversion using rectifiers.
But how l convert to 1500 DC.
I need a compact solution(portable).
Can you please suggest a circuit idea for the same⁸l

Solution
it can be easily done with a flyback ( or multiples ) having several outputs - say 3 of, stacked in series 500V each,

you can then charge the required caps on each output - to allow you to get the 4kA pulse for 400uS

there will be some droop of course - we have done 1.5kA this way no problem, you just need more 500VDC rated electro's

i/c = dv/dt, so for a droop of 50V over 200uS, at 4kA average, you need 16 milli - Farad total

or 48 milli-Farad on each 500V part of the series stack ( 48 mF = 48,000 uF )

To charge these caps is 10 sec say - total energy = 0.5 C. V^2 = 18 kJ ( / 10 sec = 1800 watts )

so 3 flybacks at 600W each, or choose a longer charge time, say 20 sec

this gives 3...
You convert the AC to a higher voltage using a step up transformer (i.e. more windings on the secondary) and then to DC with a full wave rectifier.

You convert the AC to a higher voltage using a step up transformer (i.e. more windings on the secondary) and then to DC with a full wave rectifier.
Can you please suggest any transformer less solution
--- Updated ---

it can be easily done with a flyback ( or multiples ) having several outputs - say 3 of, stacked in series 500V each,

you can then charge the required caps on each output - to allow you to get the 4kA pulse for 400uS

there will be some droop of course - we have done 1.5kA this way no problem, you just need more 500VDC rated electro's

i/c = dv/dt, so for a droop of 50V over 200uS, at 4kA average, you need 16 milli - Farad total

or 48 milli-Farad on each 500V part of the series stack ( 48 mF = 48,000 uF )

To charge these caps is 10 sec say - total energy = 0.5 C. V^2 = 18 kJ ( / 10 sec = 1800 watts )

so 3 flybacks at 600W each, or choose a longer charge time, say 20 sec

this gives 3 sections at 300 watt each - much more do-able for a newbie doing a flyback.

For the caps - say we use 470uF, 550V rated, this is 103 caps per section ( 3 sections in series )

as these are about 35mm dia x 65mm high - this is starting to get a little on the biggish side already ( 25 litres just for the caps - say 20cm x 20cm x 80 cm to allow for the pcb and standoffs )

the good news is that a well laid out pcb for each section will easily handle the 4kA, ( 39A per cap - easily done repeatedly by good quality electro's - won't even get warm )

So there you go - 1 x psu for your rail gun prototype - just designed for you

- you 're welcome @newbie_hs

EP.
May I know any transformerless solution for the same problem

Last edited:
I need to convert 230V AC to 1500V DC.
I know basic AC to DC conversion using rectifiers.
But how l convert to 1500 DC.
I need a compact solution(portable).
Can you please suggest a circuit idea for the same⁸l
Why you need to convert this is more important than your question. This is because no answer may satisfy your curiosity without us knowing the power, energy and safety requirements as well as the cost and availability. It is also useful to say your age and skill level for such high voltage can be unsafe.

Transformerless: rectify the mains, then a 2 stage boost converter to 1500V DC, the chokes need to be properly rated for the max terminal volts they see, you will need a 1700V SiC mosfet for the 2nd stage ( and 1700V SiC diode and very good layout ), the intermediate voltage is the geometric mean of the input and output volts ( ~ 700VDC )

there will be a little bit of a surge at turn on - as the booster has no current limit - and the caps will charge to peak mains with very high currents

so maybe a controlled SCR soft start to cope with that - then soft start the booster sections - you use the same gate drive to both

Then average current mode control of the 2 stage booster until you get to full volts

Happy engineering !

Hi,
Can you please suggest any transformer less solution
it would help a lot to state what´s the idea behind "transformerless".

Like: EasyPeasy´s solution is transformerless.
Still it uses at least two inductors. The difference is: in a transformer the two(or more) inductors/coils are combined.
Thus the transformerless solution is not smaller nor cheaper nor less complicated ...

So I wonder: Why transformerless?

Klaus

I need this power(6MW) only for 200uS.
May I know then portable solution will be possible or not
The load inductance is 10uH
Giving out tiny crumbs of information like this probably won't yield useful advice.

I'm guessing this is for making a pulsed magnetic field, like a magnetizer? Does it matter what shape the pulse is?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: