Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert RS232 to USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you do this with simple electronics?

I have two bluetooth modems (slave and master HC-06) that talk to each other via bluetooth protocol and they seem to work.

I got a cable to connect one to the usb port of my PC and downloaded a driver for it which works in Windows XP creating a new com port in device manager. The arduino environment recognizes that new com port.

I have the other HC-06 connected to my arduino uno with a micro usb connector in the arduino socket and the wires exposed at the other end.

I have been connecting the data in and data out (green and white) wires of the cable to the data in and data out terminals of the HC-06 on my arduino. I am able to swap them around at will.

However the arduino environment does not seem to be able to upload the sketches to the ardino....something about not being in synch.

Have I gone about this the right way or do you need a more complex converter circuit between the arduino usb socket and the pins on the HC-06?

Can you do this with simple electronics?

I have two bluetooth modems (slave and master HC-06) that talk to each other via bluetooth protocol and they seem to work.

I got a cable to connect one to the usb port of my PC and downloaded a driver for it which works in Windows XP creating a new com port in device manager. The arduino environment recognizes that new com port.

I have the other HC-06 connected to my arduino uno with a micro usb connector in the arduino socket and the wires exposed at the other end.

I have been connecting the data in and data out (green and white) wires of the cable to the data in and data out terminals of the HC-06 on my arduino. I am able to swap them around at will.

However the arduino environment does not seem to be able to upload the sketches to the ardino....something about not being in synch.

Have I gone about this the right way or do you need a more complex converter circuit between the arduino usb socket and the pins on the HC-06?

I do not know how to make USB to RS-232 converter. I bought one from Sabrent, M501-1032-Sabrent 1Ft USB 2.0 to serial DB9 Adapter for $10. I think you cannot make it better or cheaper.
Tiger Direct sells them, too.

Try FT232BL or FT232RL, I prefer FT232RL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back