Status
Not open for further replies.

nader.skf

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to convert a real signed number into 2's complement in verilog for the sake of testing only. But I get "don't cares" when converting to binary. I am new to Verilog and not sure how to do it. My code is shown below:

module tst();

parameter INPUT_PORT_WIDTH = 65;

// Input filter data {1,64} => Range -0.5 to 0.5 => 1 bit sign, 64 bits precision
reg [INPUT_PORT_WIDTH-1:0] data_t;

// Init a number between -0.5 to 0.5:
real mynumber = -0.123;
assign data_t = $realtobits(mynumber);

// Converting back to real data:
real converted_number = $bitstoreal(data_t);

initial
begin
$display("======================================> The original number: %f", mynumber);
$display("======================================> The bits number : %b", data_t);
$display("======================================> The restored number: %f", converted_number);
end

endmodule

Output:

ncsim> run
======================================> The original number: -0.123000
======================================> The bits number : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
======================================> The restored number: 0.000000
ncsim: *W,RNQUIE: Simulation is complete.
ncsim> exit

I tried to change the number to a regular integer "ex: 123", but I got (don't care output) as well. Please help!

You should read the description of conversion functions in clause 20.5 of the Verilog LRM.

$realtobits() is generating 64 bit IEEE float value.

You can use $rtoi() or automatic type conversion. Both are truncating to integer, you need to scale the real value to the intended fixed point representation, e.g. integer value = $rtoi(1000.0 *0.123) in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…