Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

conventional current direction vs. electron flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirchhoff

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
conventional current

As I have always used the conventional current direction (from + to -)
and now I see several web pages use the real electronic flow direction

I'd like to know which is more used in the university around the world.
Thanks

It's nothing, it's matter of convention. if you start work with electrochemistry you could find both current direction, additionaly there are different signs of the same ions - for instance oxygen ions (O2-) could be treated as negative or positive!!! depends on effect you would like to explain. So don't be supprised.

engineering and physics

The engineering area has been using positive flow since Ben Franklin made the first polarity error 250 years ago or so. Physics also uses the positive version.

The electron flow description only is used in training military technicians and hobbyist because it is easier to visualize electron flow in metal.

Re: conventional current

man i hate ben franklin!!! honest this is the only and the hardest part of learning EE! Unfornatualy I took physics before basics electronics course at my school. I learned to calculate electrons speed, moment ect (electron as particle instead of wave) and got the image of an electron stuck in my head where should the electron go. So I always imagine electron flows opposite direction of ben franklin's style.... but then the textbook confused the crap of out me. I mixed match styles and confused myself even more. The thing ONLY one needs to remember is that any charge going around and come back to the same position (potential) has done no work... otherwise you could create infinite energy and break the energy conservation law. that helps me overcome ben franklin's purposely confusing all new ee students (maybe he intended to confuse everyone) ;)

so basically voltages sum up around the whole path from a same start and end node should must zero. current into branches should be equal out of branches (otherwises some charges dis/appear to/from black hole?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back