Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Signal Logic Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

lins13

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,
I have a signal which I must use as a control signal for a DAC. However the device the control signal comes from holds the signal at -3.3V for a low and +3.3V for a high. This cannot be changed. I need the signal to sit at 3.3V high normally and pulse to 0v for a low.

Essentially I have a signal that sits at -3.3V usually and pulses to +3.3V and I want this to sit at +3.3V and pulse low to 0V

I will need an inversion, i.e. some kind of NOT gate, but I am unsure what device can be used to change the signal levels

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Just clamp the -3,3V signal to GND with Schottkey diode and resistor and then use any CMOS invertor gate.

if I do this, will it not make the high equal to 6.6V in addition as it is one track for both signals? That would be a problem

No. You will just clamp negative voltage to GND. It will not affect positive voltage. Put resistor in series and diode (anode) to GND.

Thanks for the idea but I am going to use a comparator. I have very little drive current available and this lets me change the voltage levels and invert in one device.

You can use a comparator, but with a voltage swing of 6.6 volts, you could also use a single enhancement mode N-channel FET and the resistors to achieve the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.