Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control multiple leds through one bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubbspet

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there guys, my first post here!

I just wanted to know, when I need to control a large amount of leds independently (+/- 150), is it at all possible to have them all grounded to one wire and then have a second data wire for independent control. Surely there must be an alternative to sunning a separate wire to each individual led? Hope this is making sense!

Thanks in advanced.

It appears that you want to know about LED Matrix. Search edaboard , you will find

ledmat.jpg

How about power supply in your "one" (respectively two) wire bus?

That image shows 64 LEDs addressed using 16 pins. You can multiplex them to achieve more individually addressable LEDs per number of pins. You need to use a microcontroller or something with programmable tri-state pins. The maximum number of LEDs for n tri-state pins is [(n!)/(n-2)!]. The code is more complicated, but with 16 pins you can control 16*15 = 240 LEDs independently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back