Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contoller Area Network(CAN) Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijay s

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
CAN FAQ

hi guys...
let me know how the messages are encoded with in CAN protocol.. i meant, is the message transferred as direct HEX value or some other Form... for an Example if One node is requesting Engine Temperature how the node Transfers Temperature in CAN protocol....

also Guys please share some useful info on CAN protocol here

CAN only defines a low level protocol. What you are asking is defined in higher level protocols such as J1939 for heavy trucks.

Information about CAN and the underlying protocol can be found in many places throughout the WWW and this is one you could start with

https://www.esacademy.com/myacademy

You might want to take the class CAN bus

hth, Bob

@bobsanjose
i don't have knowledge on how CAN is used in applications.. you mean CAN is not implemented directly in applications except only through higher layer protocols like J1939,CANOpen etc..,

if it is so, may i know how the data are encoded in J1939...

i hope to get reply about how these protocols are used in real time applications...

It may also be helpful for you to learn about the OSI 7 layer model, which is used and referenced globally to describe the functionality of numerous protocols operating on numerous networks on this planet. The CAN standard only defines the data link layer (layer 2) of the OSI model. Upper level layers define how messages are to be addressed, assembled, and encoded/decoded.

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_OSI_Stack.html

@ftsolutions
Now i got an idea about CAN and its higher-layer protocols....

what i want to know is do any network is developed with only CAN protocol...

Status
Not open for further replies.