Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Continuity Test voltage 2.9 volts or 0.44 volts, LRC meter with ext. power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
But - for once you got the test procedure right - whoopee!

Ya i had to do it all myself

An IDEAL capacitor will have zero current, real ones always have some leakage although it can be very tiny.
A bad capacitor has excessive leakage, more than the manufacturer has specified.

Yes i know, mostly it's some leakage current in the microamps

A bad capacitor will have milliamps not microamps right?

About 2.9V or 0.44V. Actually it depends upon the purpose. Some need to test a wire for continuity. Current through diode may confuse them so a meter with lower test voltage was made ( silicon diode starts conducting above 0.6V).It was popular with electricians Some people ( like electronic technician) also wanted to test diodes and transistors with their meter. A meter with 1.5V deflects its needle about 3/4 on its dial. It is easy to guess the diode is not short but showing the 0.6V forward bias. Similar is the 2.9V for Darlington transistor and red LED which require 1.4V and 2V to test ( allowing margin for battery depletion). Red LED was developed quite early than other like blue and white. I remember, it was a hot discussion in 70s. Now I see more than 4V to check forward bias and a separate low voltage continuity with buzzer on my digital meter. This was when germanium was replaced with silicon.

Some need to test a wire for continuity. Current through diode may confuse them so a meter with lower test voltage was made ( silicon diode starts conducting above 0.6V)

Why do u need 2.9 test voltage to test the continuity of a wire or cable? for long distance? 0.44 test volts can do this

That's why it's at 0.44 test voltage and not at 0.6 volts , because it will conduct semiconductors and Logic IC gate inputs

The Fluke meters at my work in continuity mode has test voltages at 2.9 volts which WILL turn on semiconductors, diodes, transistors, Logic IC gates , and you will think you have a SHORT or the component is SHORTED

This is my main point, is why did fluke want 2.9volts test voltage in the continuity mode?

- - - Updated - - -

Similar is the 2.9V for Darlington transistor and red LED which require 1.4V and 2V to test

Yes in diode mode, but in continuity that test voltage is at 2.9 volts which will conductor the darlington transistor or RED LED light, you will be a BEEP thinking the darlington transistor is SHORTED because of the test voltage in continuity mode is at 2.9 volt test voltage

I don't understand why FLUKE has a test voltage at 2.9 volts in continuity mode , it doesn't make since to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back