Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contact & Via layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawan_nayal

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am new to deal with IC layout stuff. I am just wondering why contact and Via layout look like square whereas they are circular in actual. how we measure CD in layout?

what we see in GDSII layout printed in same way on mask ?

Thanks a lot

pawan_nayal said:
Hi All,

I am new to deal with IC layout stuff. I am just wondering why contact and Via layout look like square whereas they are circular in actual. how we measure CD in layout?

what we see in GDSII layout printed in same way on mask ?

Thanks a lot

completely square can not be implemented.

Hi,

Do you see that we can have DRC error when it is a square compare to if we draw a circule (e.g. a square cover more area than the circle).

The GDS might not be exactly the same as mask, but not in the way we discuss here. OPC might be performed. Also, there is also some sizing for different layer (e.g. it is difficult to draw 0.101 poly, but easy to draw 0.1 poly). Lastly, the mask might be 4x larger, but this does not affect the final chip.

Regards,
Eng Han

You can never get prefect square as the "input data", ie photolithography step does not contain all frequency spectrum to do "square".

GDSII could very well be altered to get what you "see" in GDSII, ie, after alteration you see the "actual" GDSII data!

Srivats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back