Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant voltage and current

Status
Not open for further replies.
A LED with a high voltage capable current source can work. A moderate current of 5 mA is already generating 1.1W power dissipation however.

i meant - what sort of source are you using which has a range of 12v to 220v ?

Ultimately you may want to add 230 VAC to the specification.

I remember, that I previously designed industrial controllers with an e.g. 15 VDC to 230 VAC voltage range for binary signals. In some cases there might a similar specification for indicator lamps. The most serious argument against it is that you sometimes observe residual voltage levels of several ten volts in open 230 VAC circuits. Thus a wide range control input might be trigerred and an indicator lamp flicker in this situation.

I already mentioned a current source as straight forward solution, it would need a high voltage transistor as active element.

I also have an old Steinel VoltCheck 1A, a simple 4.5 to 380V AC/DC voltage indicator, using mainly a NTC to achieve an (almost) constant current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back