Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connector form battry to pcb

Status
Not open for further replies.

skn96

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Connector from battery to pcb

Hi All
I am designing a grid tied battery powered inverter where the input battery voltage is 48 volt and the max input current from the battery in steady state can go to as high as 105 Amp (4800 Watt inverter). That means for the input terminal connectors from battery to pcb I can not use ordinary connectors. I was told to use copper bus bars to connect battery to pcb and to solder the bas bar on the pcb board(pcb is 6 layers 2oz copper). Now the question is where I can get these bus bars? Are there any standard bus bar parts? I prefer not to order customized parts due to the cost. If I have to order customized bus bar then what companies I can refer to? How can I solder these wide thick bus bar on the pcb board? If we want to have mass production is the soldering machine capable of soldering bus bar on the board ? Any other suggestion other than using bus bar?

Thanks in advance

Do you need bus bars at all? I assume you are not passing all the 105A through one device so you should be able to use heavy grade flying wires from near the switching devices to a common point or to a bus bar that isn't on the PCB at all. In other words divide the current into more manageable amounts or keep as much of it as possible off the PCB.

Brian.

Reactions: skn96

skn96

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
It's true the battery and inverter should be connected as directly as possible, with the fewest pieces of hardware you can manage.

Rigid copper bars might be okay for bus bars, if they do not extend beyond the edge of the circuit board. You should make it impossible for humans to apply extreme force which can break the pcb, by lifting, bending, twisting the bus bars, yanking cables, pliers turning fasteners, dropping unit onto concrete, etc.

I picture copper sheet metal 1/8 inch thick, 3/8 inch wide, equivalent to 2 or 4 awg in ampacity. Drill a hole to attach a lug. Solder it to the pcb by using a soldering gun which delivers ample heat. But even if the bus bar stays soldered, can you be sure the copper layer on the pcb stays attached to the pcb no matter how hard you pull up on the bus bar? Maybe it's wise to add physical reinforcement, such as a nut and bolt.

Reactions: skn96

skn96

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dividing the current is the key, Thanks for your good suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.