Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connection for USB to PIC18F4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmondren_89

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

my intention is to connect pc to PIC18F4550,

i had already purchased USB cable type A to B,

can someone give me the schematic to connect the USB socket to the microcontroller ?

you may email to me at edmondren_89@hotmail.com

Best regards,

Edmond

U just look in to the datasheet of 18F4550/2550 u will get more information abt the controller in detail

Datsheet sect 17

and do the following

1.must connect a 470pF capacitor from its 18 th PIn to Ground(Vusb)
2.Connect .1uF,.01uF, and a .001 ud across the supply for decoupling

what does the decoupling for?..

by the way do you have the schematic ?

Can 4M Hz crystal oscillator be used for 18F4550 ? or should i use 20Mhz

edmondren_89,

20 MHz crystal would be recommended in your circuit so that the pic will perform in full speed.

regards,
nsw1216

Actually the USB is astandrad module, it requirs a standard inpit frequncy for its operation (Only if u are using the USB module.) You can use varity of oscillators, but you rtequired to change some configuration settings in the USBCON

Pls Refer the datasheet Section 2.3 Oscillator Configuration for USB Page 29

Actually the Decoupling is used to Stabilize the system performance. (Data transfer rate was higher in the USB than any other system) 3 decoupling Capacitors are used why because, it can cover a range of frequencies

Last edited:

sreepss,

Is it stated in datasheet about the usage of decoupling ?

Datasheet describes the use of Decap, But in a microchip App note(I forgot the doc Number) it is mentioned.. And with out this dcap, i faced many problems

Sreepss,

Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.