Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting Regulators in parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aasimzee

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need two sources one is 5v for microcontroller and other is 6v for relays, I am using using battery of 12v. I have to two ic's 7805 and 7806 to regulate voltage.
My question is can i use them in parallel?

Hi,

Basically, yes you can. Worth bearing in mind that regulators in parallel are like transistors in parallel, i.e. one can become a current hog which may not be a positive aspect, however I wouldn't worry about that as you're powering two different loads, so really you're paralleling two subcircuits.

Mind the recommended minimum input and output capacitance values for BOTH regulator applications - depending upon the individual circuit loads you might get away with only selecting for the larger of the (2) input capacitors, but it is best to use (2) separate capacitors and keep them close to their respective regulators.

Huh? If they're powering separate loads they're not in "parallel".

Status
Not open for further replies.