Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting 6v to ADC without divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ama_trig

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
connecting 6v to ADC?

I want to connect 6v to ADC of micro without using voltage divider, is this circuit wrong?(the rest is handled by software)

Diode is 5v6 zener:
[6v]----_|<----[ADC]
when I connect it to 5.2 volt, I get reading 2.725 volt reading(2.4v drop?) , so if I use it with 6v, and change the soft, will it work OK, I mean, will it vary a lot with temp or anything ...

Re: connecting 6v to ADC?

I thing it will not vary, zener will drop some voltage .

Just check with your controller how much voltage your controller will able to sense.
Becoz the minimal voltage drop is around 0.5v after connecting microcontroller.
But if the drop is more than check with another zener diode.

Regards
Chanchal

ama_trig said:
I want to connect 6v to ADC of micro without using voltage divider, is this circuit wrong?(the rest is handled by software)

Diode is 5v6 zener:
[6v]----_|<----[ADC]
when I connect it to 5.2 volt, I get reading 2.725 volt reading(2.4v drop?) , so if I use it with 6v, and change the soft, will it work OK, I mean, will it vary a lot with temp or anything ...

As the diode wont conduct below 5v6 the voltage your are getting possible from the micro.

Why dont you use a voltage divider, it is the best solution.

Use voltage divider along with 5v zener diode iin reverse bias configration

Status
Not open for further replies.