Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting 2 microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rateb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
ist possible to connect 2 microcontrollers via uart. the first one is 8052 mcu and the second is 8051 mcu. if not can you kindly suggest a communication protocol
regards

There is no problem in doing it provided the distance between them is short (due to noise,etc). You may also consider using an I2C interface since it was developed exactly for this kind of application.

thank u for replying my query. the distance is very short because they are on the circuit board. the 8052 mcu will be an energy meter and 8051 mcu is for connecting smart card to the system

8051 come in all colors some with up to 3 UARTS .Some time ago i used a SILABS 51 running at 25Megabits /s ! So for lower frequencies there is no problem .

Hi,

if both are running based on the same clock frequency, you can achieve pretty high transfer rates, typically external clock / 16. It does not matter whether you are using standard baudrates or not as long as the communication is only between the two micros on your board. Nevertheless, if you are using standard baudrates, such as 19200 or multiples thereof you will find more programming examples.

hth, Bob

www.mcu-related.com

You can connect controllers through UART.Even i had connected Arm7 controllers through UART

If the two microcontrollers in same PCB means you can use UART or I2C. But my suggestion is use I2C. This protocol mainly designed for controller interface. this will be easy too for 8051 and 8052.

Regards,
Anand.A

Status
Not open for further replies.