Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

confuse to find power factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andi21

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
An induction motor load of 2000 kVA has power factor 0.80 lagging. Synchronous motors totaling 500 kVA are added an operated at a leading power factor. If the overall power factor is then 0.90 lagging, what is the power factor of the synchronous motors?

2. Relevant equations
i use power triangle to solve the values of powers in induction motor..

3. The attempt at a solution
i have solve the reactive power = 1200 kvar ; p=1600 kw..
i am confuse how to use the total power factor... in need to find the real power in the synchronous motors... in order to find the power factor of the synchronous motors...

The problem is about adding vectors and can be best most easily solved with ruler and compasses. Imagine the 500 kVA locus as a circle.

I don't get your point.
The ask your text book.

I'm talking about a graphical solution. Draw the 2000 kVA vector, draw a PF 0.9 line. You don't know the actual PF of the 500 kVA load, but you know the vector length, that adds to the 2000 kVA vector.

Go get Geogebra and draw like this:

Attachments

• kVA1600.png
    kVA1600.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 107

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back