Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Headphone PTT switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalis

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

Thanks for reading my thread. I would like to complete a small project but have little practical electrical knowledge, except from school! I can solder reasonably well, have changed the jacks on some headphones with reasonable success and hope I can achieve this.

What I want to do is to take my computer headset (microphone+earpiece) which has two separate cables and 3.5mm jacks at the ends, one for the microphone and one for the audio connector.

I would like to create a push to talk transmit button on the microphone side. For this, I understand I would need a NO/push to make switch.

Is it possible to just split the microphone cable and to install the switch in between the cabling? Or is there a requirement for any other components? Any help or wiring schematics would be greatly appreciated.

you better connect the jack to a socket with switch and connect the other end to a jack so that it will go to computer.

The switch when not engaged should be connected to the ground via a resistor. Else it could pick up noise.

MIC-------------------------------------SW ----------------

MICGND---------------------------------------------------

instead of above

MIC-------------------------PNTA----/\/\/\-----MICGND

now connect a switch b/n the MIC and PNTA

Status
Not open for further replies.