Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparing two high side power switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

AP2191 p-channel
BD2268 n-channel
Sorry if this is a simple question. I am evaluating a few parts for a project where I needed a high side power distribution switch. The switch will be powering a VCO+PLL chip, LMX2820. The specs for the two parts are virtually identical except for the output type; one is an n-channel and the other p-channel. In my understanding p-channel FETS are usually used in high side switches, and typically P-MOS parts are slower and have higher on-state resistances as compared to N-MOS. However, clearly the P-MOS transistor is sized to match the on-state resistance of the N-MOS part. In my application I am not worried about switching speed, I simply need to follow a proper power-on sequence, is there a functional difference between the two parts, and is there a reason one would choose one over the other (besides cost, of course)?
Thanks in advance!

Hi,
is there a functional difference between the two parts,

the significant difference is the usage of a charge pump by the N-channel MOSFET. To be able to use a N-type MOSFET as a High-Side-Switch (HSS), you need a voltage which is larger than the voltage you want to switch (applied to the drain) plus the gate-source voltage required to drive sufficient current while offering a low on-resistance. So the voltage at the gate has to be higher than the voltage applied at the drain to turn the MOSFET on. The block diagramm of your linked N-type HSS shows a charge pump.

The P-type MOSFET ist turned off when the source (connected to the voltage you want to turn on/off) and gate voltage are identical, and it is turned on when the gate voltage is lower than the source voltage. For most applications the gate of an ordinary P-cahnnel MOSFET is pulled towards ground by means of an additional N-MOSFET (the gate source voltage difference of the P-MOSFET should usually not exceed 20 V).

So by using an ordinary P-MOSFET or N-MOSFET, the P-type is much easier to control as it only needs an additional N-channel MOSFET (or open drain pin of an MCU, for low voltage applications), while the N-MOSFET high side switch requires a charge pump or a higher DC system voltage e.g. 12 V which is already present in your system to switch off e.g. 5 V.

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back