Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator, but need custom reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasacorp

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I designed an IR sensor. The RX of the IR LED without any obstacle shows a voltage of about 2mV. Now when some object is present, it reads b/w 8mv and 50mv. I would like to design the circuit in such a way that when that happens an LED should glow. What are the solutions ? An obvious solution would be to use an opamp as comparator. But i dont know how to set V- (vref as 2mV with consistency). Please help me. Any other soultion is also appreciated.

I understand RX of IR LED is pulsating, isn't it?
If the output is DC as you described, the S/N ratio is poor. You can't expect a stable High or Low state at the output of the comparator if the signal is directly fed. To provide a healthy hysteris to the comparator, amplify the signal to a sufficiently strong signal compared to the noise floor. If you provide gain of 100, you can set 0.4V reference and design a realizable circuit.

hi,

As suji said, You have to amplify your 50 mV signal with the OP-AMP and fed this to the comparator I/P to turn ON your LED.

a transimpedance amplifier with a hysterysis comparator should solve this issue i believe.....also make sure to add a filter with amplifier.....

Sorry for replying late, So what you mean to say is: I amplify this 50 mv enough to light an LED switch ? I tried that but the problem is I want it to be like a switch. When I do this it faintly glows @ a low output also Thank you for replying :)

can you try applying a feedback circuit to that int he form of ratio of resistances. then the Vref = ratio(r) * Vout

We'll be able to help you better if you give more details about your design and perhaps suggest alternatives to your present scheme. A schematic showing averything involved would be best.

For example, unless you're operating the sensing system in a cold dark environment, there are many interefering sources of IR radiation. The usual approach is to drive the IR emitter into pulses and use a frequency-selective receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.