Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Communication with smart cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

badash_123

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want to communicate with a contact smart card by sending and receiving data. Can somebody please explain what I would need to do to first establish a connection?

I have a programmer for the smart card and AVR studio. What else will I require and How do I go about sending APDU, get response from the smart card. I am new to smart cards and do not have a clear idea about this. Help??

Hi Badash_123,
Which model are you using, Magnetic type or sim card type. The second type cards uses standard called ISO 7816. It deals with physical characteristics, Pin contacts, Electrical Interface , Transmission protocols and so on. kindly look this link ISO/IEC 7816 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For interfacing,you may use DS8007 by Maxim, supports dual smart card interface. **broken link removed** this link has how to link DS8007 and smart card. Application Protocol Data Unit (APDU) format and example code is available in same link.

Hi Vinoth

Thanks a lot for the reply and the link. It is really helpful.

I am using a sim card type card. I have a question regarding the Maxim product. Do I need to have that definitely for communication or can I just write similar programs for APDU, response and program them onto the card and use a serial connection that comes with the programmer?

Why I am asking this is I have AVR studio where I could write C and assembly programs and convert them to Hex files. Also I have a smart card programmer(hardware) and a software interface which can be used to load the hex file onto the card. Do I have to buy the interface 8007 that you have mentioned?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back