Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

communication skill vs technical skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianin

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

Does better communication really attract others, even if you have very little technical knowledge. I am writing this post, as from couple of years I experienced that hardwork and having good technical knowledge do not help to get attention from your seniors and not even consider for promotion. I am bit a silent person and I work really hard to complete the task. It is not that I do not involve any discussion. I do discuss projects, issues, solutions and help others too, but I still not getting what I suppose to deserve. The problem could be that I do not involve in discussion other than office work with my co-workers, as I am really not confortable to do that because of shyness.

What do you feel, is it really a issue. Could anybody suggest what should I do?

Thanks for reading my post!

Firstly, after reading your post I think that your writing communication skills are very good.
In all careers you however must have the skill to sell your knowledge and yourself. You can develop these skills.
I would suggest that you study the Myers Briggs personality profile model. Then evaluate your own profile. This will the help you understand how you operate.

I think your communication skills are very good, however, you mentioned that you work hard but receive no recognition for it. In the corporate environment, you need to be able to claim your accomplishments. To a shy person, this feels very much like bragging, but in a business full of people that talk themselves up with little action or skill to back it up, you really need to step forward and claim what you've accomplished. This is especially important during typical annual reviews. If you have to document and review what you've done in a year, talk about your accomplishments and roles in teams/projects, and how you helped to make them successful, on-time, under-budget, etc.

I don't know that talking outside of work subjects is necessary, but so-called small talk can help you connect with co-workers on a more personal level. You don't need to know every detail about each others lives, but simple conversations about how their weekend was, or where they went for a recent vacation, can open up the lines of communication and help you form a level of comfort with that other individual. Asking questions makes you appear interested, and engaged in them, which helps to grow friendships or simply improve a working relationship to something beyond just formal interactions. However, only asking questions and digging too deep can feel creepy (like a stalker), so keep it brief and friendly in nature. If they want to talk more about some subject, follow them into and let them set the tone/depth. If the conversation dries up, say "Sounds like you had a good time doing <activity>. Guess I'd better get back to <whatever you were doing>. See ya."

Disclaimer: not a psychiatrist, but do know a lot of shy engineers that like to look at their shoes while they walk

A good way to start, if you do look at your shoes, is walk with your head up. When you pass someone you know in the hallway, look them in the face and say "Hi xxxxx.", or just "Good Morning", with a relaxed, easy smile... showing teeth not required.

With the time I came to the conclusion that the best engineer should have 40% good engineering skils and 60% good communication skills and other (self organizing, time management, make documentation, etc.). Nobody likes extremely clever engineers who are weird, non social and crazy.

when you work with others, you ALWAYS need social skills unless you work by yourself in a small cubby and never leave your house.

Some of the most financially successful programmers (i.e. Facebook creator) have ZERO people skills.
Does this matter? Well it didn't for him!

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. Some of you think that my writing communication is good, thanks it's really encouraging.

Klystron,

I will definitely do MBTI personality check. I didn't know about this.

enjunear,

You are correct , I do look at my shoes while I walk, and never realized that. You suggestions are very helpful.

the little technical skills and more communication skills are very danger.
we should beware of those persons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back