Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Communicating with my home micro-controller via internet. What is best strategy to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

VishalRed

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Communicating with my home micro-controller via internet. What is best strategy to go
I want to use Home wifi instead of a GPS module which needs monthly maintenance in terms of Data plans

I can think of Running a web-server on my MC

I am trying to control it from an android of iPhone app.

You have not indicated what specific microcontroller you are utilizing.

However, you might consider a ESP8266 based module, which are quite inexpensive and can be programmed using the Arduino IDE with the proper compiler version.

They also offer a firmware which provides AT commands and LUA firmware as well.

They are available in several versions ranging for the simple module below for $2 to $3 on eBay:

WiFi Module - ESP8266

To a more feature rich version with USB programming support and full pin breakout like the NodeMCU in the $10 range:

**broken link removed**

There are other possibilities, Lantronix, Moxa, WizNET, etc., all of which offer WiFi compatible Ethernet controllers.

The prudent choice depends largely on the desired features, price and your comfort level and programming abilities.

BigDog

Reactions: xenos

xenos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.