Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

common drain n-channel mosfet for charge and discharge battery cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcwebaccount

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
please help, i have a question for control both n-channel mosfet to cut off discharge and charge for battery protection.

i already google this for a month without any solid solution, seem that none is care about control low side n channel for battery protection since it is mostly built-in protection IC ...

on controlling the discharge current, i just simply put the MDSG1 mosfet gate voltage Vgs high or low (to ground) for open or shutdown the path, however my problem is, when i want to close the MCHG1 mosfet for stop the Charge current (over voltage when charging my battery connected on left hand side), i don't know where to put my Vgs low enough to shutdown / turn off the MCHG1 mosfet !

last night i realized the potential between CHG(-) and BAT(-) were different that caused the Vgs of MCHG1 turn off automatically, unless i connect the Gate wire of MCHG1 to the CHG(-) point make Vgs = 0v, but the point is ... only single ground of the circuit can have right ? if the ground on CHG(-) as well that's mean the charge mosfet is disable function.

please help !!!!!

It's not clear what are PACK-, BAT-, CHG-, and how you want the current pathes to be switched.

It's not clear what are PACK-, BAT-, CHG-, and how you want the current pathes to be switched.

VIN and BAT(-) on the left hand side is connect to battery pack
PACK(+) and PACK(-) on the right hand side is connect to loading (discharge)
PACK(+) and CHG(-) on the right hand side is connect to battery charger (charge)

this is common battery protection circuit with common drain n-channel mosfet, mostly built-in in tiny battery protection IC for 2-4 cells li-ion battery, however i would like to built a bigger system for 20 cells of li-ion therefore i need to build such circuit myself.
i contacted T.I. engineer today, they have no idea and ask me to connect the emitter of Q0102 to the PACK(-), but i don't think it work.

Apart from the question if the connection of MOSFET switches is reasonable or not, to allow a swing below ground, the gate voltage can be controlled by PNP in common emitter circuit, you'll probably need another NPN as level converter to drive the PNP base.

I would usually expect a source-to-source tied pair of antiserial FETs with common gate control, disconnecting both charge and discharge.

Apart from the question if the connection of MOSFET switches is reasonable or not, to allow a swing below ground, the gate voltage can be controlled by PNP in common emitter circuit, you'll probably need another NPN as level converter to drive the PNP base.

I would usually expect a source-to-source tied pair of antiserial FETs with common gate control, disconnecting both charge and discharge.

hi, could you mind to hand draw a circuit for me, and i can do simulation tomorrow to see if it is feasible :)

5504915900_1384970960.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back