Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Commands for the LCR meter is not responding in hyperterminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hari516

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to communication the LCR meter through hyperterminal. I had set the baud rate as per the LCR -meter but still i Could not communicate.

Communication PDF was downloaded from the LCR -800 series website.

The command i typed in hyperterminal was COMU?<^END^M> then enter

If the device is on then it will show COMU:ON if not COMU:OFF..but where as here neither of those result was shown ..I could not get what was wrong and didnt respond any thing.

Kindly let me know how to communicate through commands in hyperterminal.

Thanks In advance

The first thing that I think of is: are you using the correct serial cable?

I've taken a quick look at the manual, and it gives the serial pinout on page 112. If you compare that with the standard PC's serial pinout below, you'll see that they match. I.e, pin 2 on the LCR is RxD, and so is pin 2 on the PC end.

Now, that won't work if you use a straight-through cable because both receive lines are connected, so are both transmit lines, etc. You need TxD to go to RxD, and the handshake lines need reversing too.

So, it looks like you need is a null-modem cable (or convertor plug) which swaps the connections around, for just this type of situation.

If you are already using a null-modem lead, then we will have to investigate further...

9-pinout.gif

Hey foxyrick, Thanks for the reply

I'm using the RS232 null-modem cable.still i could not get any response from the LCR meter.

Any suggestion to communicate with LCR meter through RS232 null modem cable.

Assuming you have followed all the instructions under the 'configure Terminal connection' in the manual, then I'm sorry but I don't know what could be wrong. I have no experience with the LCR-800 although the instructions seem clear.

If I were having similar problems, having checked all the COM port settings, I would try to fault-find through a process of elimination. Try a different null-modem cable, link the RxD and TxD (called loopback) of the PC's COM port to check the COM port itself works, try to communicate with another device to check the cable and COM port, try a different PC...

Sorry that I can't be of more direct help.

Assuming you have followed all the instructions under the 'configure Terminal connection' in the manual, then I'm sorry but I don't know what could be wrong. I have no experience with the LCR-800 although the instructions seem clear.

If I were having similar problems, having checked all the COM port settings, I would try to fault-find through a process of elimination. Try a different null-modem cable, link the RxD and TxD (called loopback) of the PC's COM port to check the COM port itself works, try to communicate with another device to check the cable and COM port, try a different PC...

Sorry that I can't be of more direct help.

Thats really helpful for me.I checked the cable by shorting the RxD and TxD pins at one side by connecting to PC.I could see the Prompt in hyperterminal .

I shorted all the pin combinations whcih was given in the user manual of LCR.Then i found 7 & 8 combination,6+1 & 4 combination not shorted at all. whether i need to change the cable? or shall i change the connections by soldering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back