Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

combining 2 computer PSUs to get one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkey41

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello there,

I have currently a PSU of about 400 Watt in my computer and I need to have at now at least of 600 Watts.
The cost of a single PSU of that much power is too high.
Is it possible to combine the output of two 300 W (or maybe 400 W) PSUs to get the total output of 600+ Watts ?

thanks.

donkey41 said:
hello there,

I have currently a PSU of about 400 Watt in my computer and I need to have at now at least of 600 Watts.
The cost of a single PSU of that much power is too high.
Is it possible to combine the output of two 300 W (or maybe 400 W) PSUs to get the total output of 600+ Watts ?

thanks.

It's fine if you thought like that, indeed, you can parallel those two PSU into a single one, but remember the voltages must be at the same level in no tolerance, it's mean that you can only parallel the identical power supplies. But for computer, you can manage to combine PSU without even doing the parallel thing. for example supply the fan with 2nd PSU, while the 1st PSU supply the main computer, such as fo processor, motherboard, harddisk, ect

thanks for the reply.

you gave me a good idea to operate different peripherals with another psu to prevent main one from overloading.

you wrote that the voltages must be at the same level in no tolerance, dose this mean that, for example, if one supplies 5.08 V and the other one supplies 5.23 V then they can build any problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back