Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coherent and incoherent sampling ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

talking

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
coherent sampling relation is as follows:
N/fs = M/f0
where N: # of samples, fs: sampling speed in Hz, M: the integer number of cycles in sampled data, f0: sine frequency.

Here is a question. Let's assume M is changed to non-integer, and fs is accordingly calculated again to satisfy the above coherent equation (N/fs = M/f0 --> fs = f0/M*N).
Then is this relation 'coherent' or 'incoherent'?

Let's think of a specific example as below...
The following is the coherent sampling relation.
N = 8192
fs = 82MHz
M = 2503
f0 = 25.05MHz

Then, now i slightly changed M to 2502.1 (non-integer), and fs was recalculated using "N/fs = M/f0" (--> fs = f0/M*N).

N = 8192
fs = 82MHz
M = 2502.1 <------- non-integer
f0 = M/N*fs = 2502.1/8192*82M = 25.04MHz <------- results from the calculation of N/fs = M/f0.

Can we say it's incoherent sampling condition?

It is probably incoherent over the short term but over a long interval it may still be coherent with a PLL and could be harmonically related as harmonics of some lowest common denominator.

Thanks, SunnySkyguy. i assumed there is no additional circuitry to enhance incoherent condition.. basically, i intend to make the incoherent condition due to some special reason.. so i need to confirm the condition i gave can keep incoherent relation, without any additional activity (ex. pll as you commented).

Status
Not open for further replies.