Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS inverter mismatch and jitter analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirac16

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to work out the probability density function of a single inverter in case of mismatch and device jitter. This paper (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7063035) considers a long chain of inverters and writes the following equations to describe the stochastic nature of the inverter.

yp.JPG

According to the paper, the delay of each delay cell, Tdi (i=1,2,…N), is different and follows a Gaussian distribution with a nominal delay Td_nom that depends on process corner, supply voltage, and temperature, and a standard deviation σmis determined by the device matching characteristics of the process. This is described by equation (1).

In other hand, Tdi also experiences a dynamic random variation and has a Gaussian probability density function (PDF) with a standard deviation σjit that is mainly due to device noise. This is described by equation (2). However this doesn't look alright to me. First note that equation (1) has the form of a density function. What you see in the 2nd equation is a bit weird as the exp argument takes the density function Tdu and subtracts it from the time t. There seems to be a flaw in their derivation of the inverter's PDF. Anyway what's the correct form of the second equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back